1. Wake up earlier. It might be the last thing you want to do on summer vacation, but do this to get the most out of your day! Plus, you'll have time to prepare and enjoy a great breakfast!
2. Stay hydrated. Keep a bottle of water with you wherever you go.
3. Have a good laugh. Catch up with friends over brunch, watch a funny film, hang out with your dog! Laughter is the best medicine.
4. Compliment at least one person per day. This can be a friend, an acquaintance, co-worker, stranger, whoever!
5. Eat your fruits and vegetables. You can even turn them into smoothies!
6. Stop procrastinating. We tend to give in to the dog days of summer, but push yourself and complete what you need to complete! Who said you can’t be productive during the summertime?
7. Exercise. It doesn’t have to be anything too intense. A run around the block, a leisurely hike, or even an at-home YouTube workout video.
8. Go out for ice cream with your family and friends. You can’t beat good company and a sweet treat!
9. Do something nice for someone. A Random Act of Kindness, volunteer at an animal shelter, pick up trash at the beach, or help your neighbor lift those heavy objects.
10. Have a pool or beach day. Beat the heat this summer and lounge by the pool or on the beach!
11. Go to the movies. Another way to avoid the summer heat is by retreating to the theaters! Catch this summer’s blockbusters and enjoy that bucket of popcorn!
12. Try to learn something new everyday. This can either be an interesting fact you saw online or a new skill you taught yourself!
13. Take a brief moment during your day to take three mindful, deep breaths. Deep breaths have a way of calming our minds and reducing stress.
14. And lastly, get outside and explore! Treat everything like an adventure.
We hope you’re getting excited about the Summer! We sure are at SOLO Headquarters! Over the last few months we have been preparing to release our new line of sunglasses, and we are excited to announce that they are here! Please meet the new frames in the SOLO family.
Any of the new frames in the family can be purchased on our website or in our retail locations. If you prefer to see them in person, you can drop by the “SOLO Summer Social” tomorrow, June 21st to purchase a pair in person! The event is going to run from 5-7 pm at the W Hotel Sky Beach Lounge in downtown San Diego. Entry is free- so stop by, listen to some live music, support our mission to give and come check out our new line!
I'm sitting outside, in my parents backyard in Los Angeles. As the temperature nears 80 degrees, I relax in the shade and listen to flamenco music. I contemplate getting up from my chair to get something cold from the fridge but I'm far too comfortable. I realize that if someone were to ask me that cliche question, about what my "happy place" was, it would be this; right here, right now.
I look past my parents lawn at the massive magnolia tree that grows on their hill and frames the blue sky with its large, green leaves- if they could only talk. How many times had they watched a younger me play underneath them? Fall asleep in their shade? I wonder if they would have cried out when I nailed wooden planks into the trunk as I built a tree fort, or if they would have smiled all those years ago when I stole a kiss from that girl who laughed afterward. I was certainly happy those leaves couldn't call out to my mother when I pretended I was studying under them but secretly had a book hidden inside my homework folder; although the more I think about it the more I suspect she knew all along.
It's impossible not to smile as I reminisce and relax. Maybe I will grab something from the fridge, or maybe I'll just fall asleep for a while...
Before I was around, my dad used to race bicycles professionally. I was super proud when I found out he placed 10th out of 5,000 contestants in a race he did a few weekends ago in NYC.
While on the subject- this Sunday is fathers day! These days it’s almost impossible to find a unique gift; one that excites and surprises, and your old man probably doesn’t need another BBQ apron. As you may know SOLO has just introduced a whole new line of sunglasses for summer. We think your dad would love all of them, however, there are a few that stick out from the rest.
Give him something that no-one else has! Every pair of glasses from our “artist series” is made individually, making them all one of a kind. And of course we still incorporated all the features you love, including recycled bamboo frames and spring loaded hinges. Check out "the wave."
Does your dad look like this?
Yes you say? Well that's super bitchin' - you should be proud because Hasselhoff is the man. And the rest of you needn't fret- because SOLO has you covered.
Give your dad a pair of our signature "Hoff's" and he will be towing boats out of dangerous waters with his teeth in no time at all.
Speaking of boats, if neither of these glasses are floatin' yours, we have our entire collection available on our website.
Have fun this Sunday enjoying your family and spending time with your Dad.
When I was in high school, I had an awesome opportunity to make some money for college by housing foreign exchange students. My parents had a back-house and over my senior year, we had 3 different exchange students live there. Among other things I have great memories of taking them to english class, showing them around Los Angeles teaching them to surf. What started out as a way to make extra money turned into a unique and personal experience- one in which I grew as a person, learned about different cultures, and made friends who I am still in touch with today.
This is a photo of Alan, one of my exchange students from Mexico City. He had a great time staying with us, and most important of all, became a Kings fan…
One time my friends and I took Alan camping in San Clemente. There were seven of us: My two friends Sean and Connor, Sean's girlfriend from Texas, and two of her friends. We spend a few days hanging out, surfing, and barbecuing food on the beach- not something out of the ordinary for any kid from Southern California, but certainly different for an exchange student from Mexico City.
No matter where you live, there are tons of websites that can connect you with a foreign exchange student. There are a million reasons to host, and hardly any not to. I would recommend it one hundred percent.
Friends, it’s time you meet the new frames in the family!
Take a second to vote on your favorite new frame below. Share the campaign on Facebook for a chance to win a free pair of SOLO sunglasses!
This summer SOLO has more sunglass options than ever! Our newest collection is available for pre-order and we can assure you that they are hotter than sandy beaches in July.
Check out our sassiest frame, the Shady Lady. Throw these on and teleport to a seaside hammock under a few palm trees. No matter the time of year, every day is a dream vacation when wearing Shady Lady’s.
Next up, scope The Hoff. Whether you’re saving lives like Mitch or fighting crime like the Knight Rider, there’s no problem too hard to handle when rocking The Hoff.
Meet Green Flash! According to our friends at Wikipedia - D.K.J. O'Connell produced the first color photographs of a green flash at sunset in 1960. Watch out Mr. O'Connell, SOLO is about to set the world record for photos of the Green Flash at sunset.
Last but not least, Han SOLO. You better act fast! Vader and the ’troopers just got word... They're leaving the Dark Side just to get their hands on some Han SOLO’s.
We’re super excited about the new frames in the SOLO fam! Let us know what you think by commenting below… we’d love to hear from you! Remember, the best part about our shades is not the quality and style, it’s the fact that each pair purchased funds eye care for people in need. Join our #MissiontoGive.