Greeting 2013 with open arms, we are hosting another Random Acts of Kindness ...
Nearly 1 billion people do not have access to eye care in the world.
80% of the world's blindness is preventable.
SOLO Eyewear saw these statistics as a call to action and created a brand that would restore vision around the world. Each time you purchase a pair of SOLO sunglasses, you are restoring vision for two people in need through a pair of prescription eyeglasses and a portion of a cataract surgery. We call this a SOLO Cycle:
50% of the world's preventable blindness is caused by cataracts. Our partners, L.V. Prasad Eye Institute and Aravind Eye Care System, are able to treat cataracts 5 minutes for as little as $15 to $40. They have serviced millions of underprivileged people in need free of charge. In a year and a half, SOLO has been able to contribute to their efforts and fund 150 cataract surgeries for people in need.
95% of people in Sub-Saharan Africa who are in need of prescription eyeglasses do not own a pair. Of those in need of glasses, 60% need reading glasses and the remaining 40% need glasses to treat nearsightedness. Through our partnership with Restoring Vision, SOLO was able to fund 2,250 pairs of reading glasses for people in need across the world.